Manual Rain Gauge¶
Why it is important to comply to standards?
1. Consistency for comparing rainfall data in different places within Auroville since rainfall varies in different parts of Auroville.
2. Making it possible to use for any kind of scientific analysis by contribution to the primary data in sustainable water management for Auroville.
Proposed standards and ethics:
1. The time of taking the reading - 08:30 am.
The rain is recorded over a period of 24 hours- 8:30 of previous day till 8:30 of the present day, and the date is put as the present day. For example, if the rain is measured at 8:30 am on 10 dec 2017, then it is logged in as on 10 dec 2017.
2. Manual rain gauge typically used- green cylindrical and a collection jar.
3. Measuring jar: 10 mm corresponding jar
Area of the rim of manual rain gauge= 200 square cm
Diameter of rim= approximately 16 cm
NOTE: - If another kind of rain gauge is used, it should be used with the corresponding measuring jar as type of jar and calibration on jar depends on the area of rim. Any cases of different rain gauge other than above should be reported before use for recording purposes.
4. The minimum record-able unit is 0.2 mm (Least measure on the 10 mm cylinder). T is marked for below 1 mm.
5. The reading should be preferably submitted in an excel sheet (the data sheet will be provided). The frequency of sending data can be daily or weekly.
6. The rain gauge should be kept in a safe and open to sky area clear from tree cover or objects in surrounding so that direct rain falls into it and not from trees/ objects etc. Preferably roof top or a higher place on ground.
7. A check on the rain gauge should be kept when there is long period of gap in rainy days to make sure it was emptied out and there is no blockage.
8. In case of doubt in reading or incorrect measure, "incorrect measure" should be marked
1. Readings should not be missed. Time to time check on rain gauge is required during long periods of no rain (especially when the rain season is approaching).
This is important because firstly, if it rained in the night and it wasn’t recorded, reading for the day is lost; Secondly, if the jar was not emptied, it gives incorrect subsequent reading.
2. If the person is not going to be available temporarily where the rain gauge is kept, the responsibility should be passed on to someone they can rely on after explaining the standards.
Data won’t be published in case of non-compliance to standards. This is to maintain the sanctity of proper scientific data collection and to keep it reliable for sharing by publishing. Discussions regarding standards are welcomed.
CSR Geomatics Team is placed on first floor in CSR, Auroshilpam.
AV rain data publication: (http://gis.auroville.org.in/measures/raingauge_av).
Adding Rain gauge to our web portal (GISAF), following information is needed:
1. GPS co-ordinates of location of placing the rain gauge (can be obtained using mobile phones easily)
2. Name, place of residence & contact number- Mobile & Landline
Automatic Rain Gauge¶
There is a possibility of publishing rain data coming from Automatic rain gauges like (id 15, auro orchard) and Weather stations.
For Automatic rain gauges, we can upload the files coming from the rain gauge directly into GISAF.
Thank you for contribution towards a sustainable management of Water in Auroville through Data collection.